Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mike Wallace of Belmont, Ohio - Home Video Studio's Rookie of the Year for 2012!

Mike Wallace, HVS Rookie of the Year 2012


Meet Mike Wallace, Home Video Studio Owner in Belmont OH and HVS’ Rookie of the Year for 2012!  Mike took home the Rookie of the Year award from Home Video Studio’s 12th Annual Hanley Awards Celebration Dinner in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Planet Hollywood on Saturday, July 28. Mike also took home five Hanley Awards for excellence in video. 
When Mike opened for business in May of 2011 he became the first owner to operate a “studio within a store” inside the heavily traveled Bel-Morr Market, a gas station and convenience market along Interstate 70.  Mike’s wife Kris has owned and operated this market for twenty six years. “That’s why my Home Video Studio ended up here,” says Wallace.  “I thought it would be a convenient and lucrative location for customers to drop off and pick up their video projects.”  
Whether drafting and designing a building, a business or a lifestyle Mike Wallace has always been one to take matters in his own hands.  That’s why being a Home Video Studio owner fits him to a T.
After obtaining a degree in CADD (Computer Aided Drafting and Design) Mike worked with his father in their construction business for thirteen years.  But when his dad wanted to retire he was faced with some decisions.  “I knew I’d have to go all in or all out.  I realized I was getting burned out in the construction business.  Plus I had never worked for anyone else and didn’t want to start.”  He had also been nurturing a desire to perhaps return to school to fulfill his passion for film and video production – but as a husband and father the logistics seemed daunting. 
“I had a pretty tall order,” jokes Wallace.  “All I wanted was to work with video, computers and technology in a business where I didn’t have to worry about employees or the weather!”  This order began to be filled in an unlikely place. 
While getting ready to depart on vacation Mike passed a newsstand at the airport and picked up a copy of Small Business Opportunities to read on the plane.  There he saw an ad on becoming a Home Video Studio franchisee.  “I saw the ad and thought about it all week.  I realized this would be a great business to bring to the Ohio Valley.  Then, on the plane home, I sent an email to request more information.  By the time I got home there was a message from Indianapolis on my answering machine.”
Mike quickly responded, liked what he saw and heard and before long had his own studio in part of the brand new building that he designed and constructed for his wife’s business.  Wallace realizes that this was what he was looking for - and not just him:  “I have people tell me all the time that this area really needed something like this and they wished I would have done this years ago.”
Mike Walace in his HVS Studio Store within a store!
Mike enjoys the many different services he provides so he is not doing the same thing day in and day out.  One of the most memorable projects so far is a four hundred foot reel of film brought in by a Viet Nam veteran to be transferred to DVD.  Once the customer saw what could be done that job turned into a full
blown memoir of film footage, photos, titles and music.  “My customer absolutely loved it.  It brought tears to his eyes.  This is what I get to do every day and I really enjoy seeing my customers’ reaction to what I have created.” 
What are Mike’s plans and goals for the future?  “Well, to steadily grow my business of course.  I’ve also found I enjoy the whole process of video production and I especially want to shoot weddings and events.”
Want to be like Mike? Attend an HVS webinar. That is how Mike started. You can also call Robert Hanley at 317-358-5932. 

No comments: