Friday, July 8, 2016

I remember one of my first Calls to Actions for my current career in filmmaking/media, etc. I was seventeen just about ready to graduate from high school. For some reason, I decided to grab my Dad’s 8mm film camera and shoot a movie. 
It was a weekend/Saturday event. The plot was new wave. In fact there was no plot. Most of the scenes were me in my graduation cap and gown brandishing an axe (don’t read anything into that). Anyway, I shot one reel and sent it off to be processed. 
Two weeks later it came back and I eagerly threaded Dad’s movie projector. This was going to be great! I could not wait. It was a three-minute reel – a three minute masterpiece! 
It sucked. The film was over exposed and grainy (I knew nothing about light meters or exposure at that point). 
That was the end of that Call to Action. I was disappointed. Life went on. 
It would be four years or more before my next (and most major) Call to Action for filmmaking: Star Wars. 
The fact is the call always keeps coming. The Call to Action phone always rings. It’s just that you don’t always hear it and most of the time you don’t answer that call. You just don’t pay attention. Life gets in the way. This is so natural. Some people never answer the call…
Today… listen. Take a few minutes and listen. Let the world around you stop for a short time and consider what you really want to do with your life. What is important to you? Try to push out all of the noise – the chatter – the clutter. Try to get some clarity. 
Think about the various Calls to Action you have had over the years. 
What would happen if you answered that call?
May the Force be with You! 
Robert Hanley
Producer/Director/Editor
President & Founder Home Video Studio
317-371-1504
www.myhomevideostudio.com

No comments: