Monday, November 6, 2017

Transferring Home Movies 8mm & 16mm

I've loved home movies my whole life. Among my fondest memories growing up in Indiana are the times we dimmed the lights, made some popcorn, started the movie projector, and watched our family adventures on film.  I can still remember my Uncle Willard shouting at the screen: “Jump, Jump Robert.” and then laughing so loud! He thought it was so funny that as a two year old, I could not jump! Watching those old movies was the beginning of my love of movies and that's why I've been in this business for over thirty-five years.

Transferring home movies is a big part of running a Home Video Studio.  For those of you who don’t know me, I got into this business producing, directing and editing TV Commercials and corporate film and video. I used to edit film on my Moviola Flatbed in my mobile home! (We eventually moved out of that mobile home and I sold the Moviola in the late 1980s. But yes… I started my career cutting film.

So it is kind of fitting that film is a big part of our current business. We actually transfer the film for our studios here in Indianapolis. What kind of film comes in -
old 16mm from the 1920s through the 1980s and 8mm/Super 8mm from the 1940s to the 1980s. You are welcome to transfer your own film if you join us but we suggest you farm it out to us or some other vendor.

Why is film such a great profit center? Well for one thing Kodak sold zillions of feet of film in every state for a very long period of time. You’ll make money transferring the film and then possibly editing your customer’s film into valued added videos – LifeTIME videos, Family Histories, etc.

Oh and here is a cool item. If you are currently in business for yourself, you can outsource your film to us if you need to and you can also call me for advice. I would be happy to help you.

We put our film on DVA – Digital Video Archive www.DigitalVideoArchive.com and we still transfer to Platinum Archival DVDs. I hate distributing on thumbdrives but sometimes that is a necessary evil.

Technology has changed, but our memories of weddings, birthdays, graduations, vacations, holidays and more have not. These are precious and almost sacred images. There is still magic in dimming the lights, making popcorn, and reliving those adventures. It's the wheel of life. This is a wonderful business to be in. www.Myhomevideostudio.com.

May the Force be with You!

Robert Hanley
Producer/Director/Editor
President & Founder
Home Video Studio 
317-358-5932
Robert@Homevideostudio.com